Saturday, December 28, 2013

The importance of the pass in basketball.

A month ago, my friends came to my place telling me that there was some great French players in town, it was their last week in town, so my friends planned for a street game against them. These guys were about to become professionals, at first sight, I tough it was an extraordinary opportunity to test our game compared to high level players, but then I realized that we might just get humiliated.

Sunday was the game day, when we got to that court, I saw three brown guys, one of them was over the two meters(more than six feet and a half). After we greeted them, I suggested that we warm up a little bit before the game. While we were warming up, I saw that guy dunking over and over, I must admit, I was scared.

As soon as we started our game, it was a big surprise, we totally dominated that game, they were just like a group of newbies that would all follow the ball with no system or nothing! But that wasn't really the reason they loose, they were missing a huge basketball fundamental.
Yes, they are individually great players, but they rarely pass the ball! Every single one of them is trying to score over us, they don't care about winning, all they care about is to do some nice moves and dunk. That was only a street game with no value, but if they play like this in an official game, it will cost them a lot!

An assist in basketball is a pass directly followed by a score, a pass is called an assist if the receiver do less than two dribbles before scoring. The best passers are often the point guards, in order that a good passer should have a good vision of the court and good ball handling, to avoid the steals and loosing the ball. However, some players occupying other posts can also be great passers. Thus, Wilt Chamberlain finish with most assists in the 1967-1968 season doing 702, in front of Lenny Wilkens and Oscar Robertson. A lot of centers develop their passing techniques to oppose defenses on them, especially the double tag.

Here are two videos I'm suggesting you to watch, in order to know more about passes.




And you, tell us, what are your favorite passes?


Categories: , ,

0 commentaires:

Post a Comment